On Saturday May 5th, 2018 the Society held an informal gathering to enjoy the cherry blossoms in the Friendship Garden at Cottonwood Falls Park, Nelson.
All over Japan, people enjoy the beautiful spring blossoms when the cherry trees -“sakura”- bloom. People go out picnicking, painting, photographing or admiring the beauty of these short-lived blossoms. These parties are called hanami .
At our Nelson hanami, we enjoyed:
- Japanese songs by Terry and Janet Marshall and our members’ singing group
- reports on the Society and projects in the Friendship Garden
- an intergenerational Scavenger Hunt focusing on the Garden and our sister city friendship
- calligraphy, children’s crafts, and delicious baked goods and tea
- visiting with friends and admiring the cherry blossoms!